Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Student v. Student

Last night before bed, Mr. called me, 'Ms. Student' or something like that in a sweet tone.  It really felt nice because after orientation, I feel that he gets this is real.

I have varied interests, and let's face it, none of them are live saving.  They're life enhancing.  They're also not very profitable, so it can seem a bit silly for me to spend all this money on my undergrad degree and then spend some more money to get a lower level degree from a less academically competitive school.  The confusion is compounded when surrounded by future doctors, of both philosophy and medicine.  Why would you not seek to get the highest degree you possibly can??  This confusion has caused a slight disconnect between Mr. and me once or twice since I got my acceptance letter.  Here's the breakdown:
  1. They don't offer Fashion Merchandising at the graduate level.
  2. Even if they did, I don't have the appropriate background to pursue it.
  3. Associate's degrees are cheaper than master's degrees.
  4. For what I think I want to do in fashion, a master's would be overkill.
  5. If I get to the point where a master's would help my career, my employer can pay for it!
Pursuing a career in medicine, with all the competition, is pretty straightforward: You go to college, pre-med, take the MCATs, apply to medical school, attend medical school, apply for residencies, make a match list, [hopefully] match, and the process continues.  Other careers, particularly those in artistic fields such as theatre and fashion, are less linear.  Those wacky right-brain industries!  Instead it's all about connections and having something to offer besides that.  For some it's talent, others it's experience, and for me it'll probably be my studies.

I think in addition to the confusion, though, Mr. was just worried about the time factor.  He's in school, and his schedule is intense.  I'll be in school and working full time, not to mention my commute.  How will anything get done?  It won't be easy, but we'll make it work.  Plus, with neither of us home, the apartment can't get that messy, right?  I figure now is the time to do this, before throwing pets or children into the mix.  And ultimately I'll have to be doing something to rake in the dough while Mr.'s a resident and putting his entire salary toward student loans.  BigLaw doesn't exist in the boonies, after all, and who knows where we'll be for residency.

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute.  We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race.  And the human race is filled with passion.  And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life.  But poetry, beauty, romance, love - these are what we stay alive for.
~Dead Poets Society

No comments: