Friday, August 15, 2008

Back to School!

Okay, confession time - I'm a nerd. Like, a huge nerd. When I was in kindergarten, I was jealous of my brother in 2nd grade because he got homework. I wanted homework! Before 6th grade, I remember using the map of the school to plan my route during passing period. To be fair, my middle school was 3 stories high and our passing periods were 4 minutes long. However, I also did the same before my freshman year in high school...and did what I could before freshman year in undergrad as well.

I will be starting school in 10 days, and while I don't have to worry about passing periods as I only have once class per night, I have planned for just about everything else. I've even poked around the site I'll use for my online course. I'm confident I'll be able to find the classrooms for my regular class as the buildings are identified by letters (A, B, C, and D). However, I was worried about where to go for my orientation, which is next Tuesday. I've known the date and time for weeks now but not the location. You can imagine how awkward and nervous I was getting until yesterday when I received a letter in the mail with all of the room locations for all of the program orientations. Most seemed to be in classrooms, a few in the amphitheatre, one in the faculty dining room. Mine was toward the bottom of the second page. SR 8. SR8??? I scrambled for the campus map online. Nope, no building S or SR. We're new students; how is this supposed to help? Sure, maybe there will be people there to direct me that day, but I'm going after work. I don't have an extra 20 minutes to get lost.

So today I called 3 different people at the school. Yes, I'm going to be that girl. First I needed to dispute a charge on my bill (why something called 'student refund' is a charge to me, the student, is beyond all reasonable logic). Then I needed to figure out how to get into my email which hasn't worked for weeks now. After that, I discover an email from an administrative assistant regarding mail to me that had been returned to them, and that I needed to reply by today. So, I quickly called her to straighten out the mail situation and afterwards slyly asked her, 'um, do you know where the SR rooms are'? And the mystery was solved - they're in the basement. 'SR' stands for 'Seminar Room'. Crisis averted.

No comments: