Thursday, August 14, 2008

On Calls and Curtain Calls

It's a quarter after midnight, and I just got home.  Mr. is not yet home.  He was on call today, and it looks like it's a late night.

As you see, it was also a late night for me, but for a much more enjoyable reason: I saw Boeing Boeing on Broadway!  Ah, the rough life of being married to a guy who's never home, always having to find ways to amuse myself...
Okay, really a sorority sister wanted to take advantage of her employer's theatre discount, so a few of us headed out after work tonight to see this brilliant comedy revival.
Boeing Boeing is about a man with 3 fiancees, all flight attendants, and the hilarity that ensues when an old friend stops by for a visit.
The show was great, but it has only a little to do with the writing and much to do with the acting, timing, and staging.  This production features respected performers Bradley Whitford, Christine Baranski, Gina Gershon, Kathryn Hahn and Mary McCormack, but the man who made the show with his deadpan delivery was Mark Rylance, playing the friend.
Far more seasoned critics have reviewed this piece, so I'm not going to do so here.  I just want to give it a thumbs up, declare it a must see, and to remind anyone who might be curious to always try to see a show with its original cast.  It truly makes a difference.

Mr.'s home now, and I'm ready for bed.  Good night!  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

based on your thumbs up and the movie I think I just will see it.

For anyone else looking to get tickets I found this site on google: http://www.broadwaybox.com/shows/boeing_boeing_nyc_tickets.aspx using the information on their site I saved 40% - almost as much as I would have if I went to the TKTS booth and I didn't have to wait on any lines or risk that the show wouldn't be there.

MW said...

Have fun!
I'm not a big TKTS fan myself - too touristy, and the deals don't seem that good.
Definitely more of an employer discount, student rush, or credit card perk fan myself. I've never heard of Broadway Box, though!