Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Point for me!

Anyone who knows Mr. knows that he can be incredibly difficult to argue with. In the past (and by 'past', I mean 2 weeks ago), this used to bother me. I just wanted to watch Project Runway without him over my shoulder claiming that the producers probably design all of the outfits themselves, controlling every single aspect to insure the highest level of entertainment.
However, the steeper the climb, the greater the satisfaction when you reach the top! That's right, Mr. conceded a point to me.

Saturday night before bed, I was reading Peony in Love in dim lighting.

Mr. MW: You shouldn't read in dim lighting, it's not good for your eyes.
MW: I thought I read somewhere once that was a myth.
Mr. MW: (scoffs) No, it strains your eyes. We should get you a reading lamp.
MW: (just wanting to get back to the novel) Okay.

Now, I've been scolded about reading in the dark since I was old enough to read. It doesn't hurt my eyes, it doesn't bother me, I don't mind. So, when I read an article or saw on the news (I can't remember) that reading in the dark doesn't actually have long term effects, I was triumphantly satisfied. I may have forgotten the source, but I don't forget being right. :)
Last night I decided to find verification, so I googled, and found this link. It seemed like a decent source, and pretty much said that reading in the dark can cause eye strain, which is exhibited by a bunch of symptoms I never experience. This is mostly short term anyway but can in some cases possibly cause long term effects in nearsightedness. I am nearsighted, but I doubt it's related to eye strain as I've never experienced any of the symptoms of eye strain. It took a little bit of arguing to quasi-persuade Mr. who was rattling on about how I haven't been studied in a controlled environment or something. But finally, he questioned my source and went to find his own. A few minutes later, he conceded the point, finding verification in a legit medical journal.
Woot.

In other news, we're officially married again! Okay, so we've been officially married for over a year now, but at the beginning of this summer, Mr. lost his ring in the ocean. He decided that his original ring had been too bulky and heavy and wanted instead to have a basic small band. So, last week I dropped by the Zales by my work, found and paid for a ring, got it sized, and picked it up yesterday. Hooray, we're married! And now even strangers will know it. ;)

No comments: