Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Right Choice

When I was in 7th grade, there were two boys named Matt in my class (the advanced class - we were all nerds). One was tall and skinny. He was my 'boyfriend'. The other was shorter, stockier, and wore glasses with transition lenses. This second Matt was a really nice guy. He wasn't particularly anti-social, but many times if there was downtime in class, he wouldn't jump into a bunch of conversations with his friends like everyone else was doing. He'd sit back and observe. I supposed I was also observant then as I noticed this and asked what he was doing.
"Sometimes I just like to sit back and watch people."
At the time it seemed a little creepy, but since I liked just about anything that was outside the norm, I also found it kind of cool. I started to imitate, probably lacking the actual thought process to fully analyze at that point. But then it became a habit, and I became curious by various cliques and social tendencies. In high school, I was curious where exactly my group of friends fit, and in college I was quick to observe the differences between a New Yorker's attitude and the attitudes of those from the Midwest.

Being a huge math nerd, I have an eye for patterns, trends. I'm only one week in, but this skill I've developed is precisely what working in fashion is all about. Taking note, anticipating, etc. It's a big math and numbers game, which will probably give me a slight academic advantage over most of my classmates, drawn to fashion for the artistic side. The one exception would be that girl who used to be an investment banker.
The rest of it is getting inside the mind of the every day consumer. Not insisting on your own taste, but recognizing the mainstream taste or the specific taste for your market. This is the same sort of thing needed in entertainment, but people actually pay attention in fashion.

Yes, this was the right choice for me. This will be good.

No comments: