Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Every time I start a new job, a coworker gets pregnant.

Well, 3 for 3 at least.

A little over 2 years ago, I started my first full-time job as a secretary at a law firm.  After training, I was placed almost immediately in a pairing of desks with AS.  We had just hit a groove of a friendship when she revealed to me that she was pregnant.  As she was preparing for maternity leave, a new girl, AR, started at a nearby desk station.  When AS left, I was moved to the desk station with AR and formed a friendship with her.
I then got an opportunity to be a secretary elsewhere for more money.  It sounded promising, so I left shortly after AS returned, and AS moved to the desk station with AR.
My phone coverage at the new job was a woman a year or two my senior, RP.  It took a little longer for us to warm up to each other, but we eventually formed a rapport.  Sure enough, she soon became pregnant.  Meanwhile, I hated my new job and longed for the law firm again.
So, I called my old boss and put plans in motion to start back in a new position there.
My top priorities upon my return (4 months ago) were to see AS and AR, particularly AR as she was leaving for California for the summer for her husband's job.  Now that the summer is over, AR has returned, and when we met to catch up, I was delightfully surprised to find that she was, yep, 4 months pregnant.

You heard it here first, kids.  Trying to conceive?  Get your boss to hire me as your coworker.

No comments: