Wednesday, August 6, 2008

And the awkwardness compounds itself

A few weeks ago, I was on the train home back to the borough when I made eye contact with a familiar-looking Asian man sitting across from me.  It wasn't until I returned to my sudoku puzzle that I realized he was the benefits guy from my office.  Knowing it would be awkward to initiate a conversation on a crowded train, especially since some time had past since we made eye contact, I decided to say goodbye to him once he got off the train.  
The commute continued and suddenly we were not just in the borough, but the train was above ground.  Since there were significantly fewer people on the train, I looked up and had the following conversation:

MW: I didn't know you lived all the way out here.
HR Guy: (Stands up to hear better) I live by [Borough Medical School]
MW: (Shocked at the coincidence) My husband's a student there!
HR Guy: Yeah, I live in [my building]
MW: Me, too!  I'm on [x floor]
HR Guy: I'm on [x+2]
HR Guy:  So, do you work in the city?
MW: (Realizing he's not actually my HR Guy) Yeah, I work at a law firm
HR Guy: Oh, that's cool

We continue in silence, him still standing, for the next two stops until we both get off the train.

Since that day, I have seen the guy around campus from a distance ...and promptly avoided him.  Today I almost got on the same bus as him from the train to campus.  Instead I just kept on walking to a different bus stop for a different bus that also takes me to campus.

Maybe not the most mature response to an honest mistake, but so far it's workin' for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I've totally done that before. I once started a convo with someone at the Astor Place station who I thought I had a class with. Nope!

annie said...

Hehe, I love that story. :) Sorry for your awkwardness!