Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Is there a doctor in the house? Part 2

One of the nice things about being married to a medical student is that there's an almost-doctor in the house.
Another nice thing about being married to a medical student if you live in student housing is that there are almost-doctors filling the whole building.

This morning, shortly before 7:00am after Mr. had hit the snooze a few times, we heard some thuds and then a minute later a woman yelling "Can somebody help me??" while banging on our neighbor's door. Mr. and I both sprung up, and while he put on pants, I ran over to the apartment. The woman needed someone to bang down a door. The other neighbor ran to get something from his place to pry a locked door, and I cam back to my place and started fumbling around in my purse to get a card or something to card the door. I told Mr. that she needed someone to kick down the door, and he ran over. Realizing that the neighbor now had 2 male medical students assisting her, I didn't return. Mr. can card a door better than I can, and he and the other neighbor are surely both more capable of kicking in a door than I am.

The woman's husband/fiance/boyfriend had collapsed in the shower and was unresponsive. It's unclear what made him collapse in the first place, whether it was a slip and fall situation, or if he fainted.
Mr. ran downstairs to tell the security guard in our building and I assume to call 911. He then grabbed his stethoscope and went back next door. Either he or the other neighbor performed chest compressions; I could hear them counting. Mr. eventually came back to say that he was stable and the paramedics were on their way.

Meanwhile, I did everything I could for Mr. so that he wouldn't be late to work (packed his lunch, laid out his scrubs). I'm sure they'd understand, but there was certainly no need for him to have that added stress.

The paramedics came at 7:15. Why it took them so long, I have no idea. We live directly next to a huge hospital and across the street from another. There's yet another hospital 2-3 blocks away. Luckily Mr. and our other neighbor were able to help in the mean time.

I'm not sure we'll find out how this story ends as we don't know our neighbors, but my thoughts and prayers will definitely be with them.

No comments: