Saturday, August 16, 2008

Friday Night in the City

My friend from work turned in her timecard yesterday.  It's time to start her 'real job'.  While I'm sad to lose a lunch buddy, it's always reassuring to see people make it out.  That doesn't mean I hate my job.  No, quite the contrary.  I really enjoy working at the law firm...I just don't want to work there forever.  The danger of working a job that you love is that you'll do it forever and never move on to a career.  I have too much pride for that.  I love the law firm and all they've done for me, but I want to do something that I've chosen, not something that just happened to fall in my lap.

Anyway, since it was her last day, she was invited to happy hour by one of the attorneys.  Not wanting to go alone, she invited me to come with her.  I felt a little awkward wearing my rain boots, but it was happy hour, not a club, and besides I'm married, so what does it matter?  My friend also kept insisting that the boots were super cute.
We stopped off at her apartment first and ordered in Pizza 33.  Best. Pizza. Ever.  No joke.  I've been to Grimaldi's, Lombardi's, and Patsy's, and while they are all phenomenal with incredible ingredients and toppings, Pizza 33 also has delicious crust.  Seriously, go there.  Like, yesterday.

After the best pizza ever, we headed out in the sprinkling rain - you know the type that is hard enough to be annoying but not hard enough to be the jerk with umbrella? - to happy hour at Borough.  I was relieved to find a casual, chill atmosphere, and while I still felt silly wearing my rain boots, I didn't feel terribly underdressed.  I had much more fun than I expected to have.  We played some pool.  I hit about 3 balls in on purpose, all in the last game.  Unfortunately, I also scratched about 6 times.  I get the mathematics of pool, but I totally suck at the mechanics.  I ended up staying an hour later than I expected and realized I miss going out.  Not clubbing, because, in my opinion, it's not worth it in New York (too crowded and expensive), but just hanging out, playing pool, doing stuff you can't really do in our neighborhood in the Borough.  My friend, I think, felt the same way.  And since she's a granny like me who likes to go to bed at a reasonable hour, I think she'll make a good going out buddy in the future.  And I'm totally down with being her wing-woman.

No comments: