Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Researcher's Dream

First, apologies for not posting this past week.  I was sick, busy, and caught up in everything going on in the news.  Can't.  Look.  Away.

Anyway, more on that later.  For now, I can't not share this tidbit that everyone probably already knows about already, but I've just discovered it and am way more excited than I should be.  On NYTimes.com, you can find articles from the early parts of the 20th century.  Perhaps even earlier, I don't know.  Many of them cost money, but some are free, such as this one from 1914, with the headline FASHIONS FOR SUMMER FROCKS HARK BACK TO 1870; Styles One May Buy in Paris at Small Prices --More Plaids Than Roman Stripes in Fashion Centre.

This may prove infinitely useful as I work on my research paper about Madame Grés for my online class.  The daughter of a librarian, I've been around microfilm and whatnot my entire life, but I never did master the art of researching the old fashioned way.  Putting everything online, even if they are pdf's, makes life so much easier.  As for how you find these wonderful windows to the past, if you search a word it will give you every article they have with that word, I believe... including articles from 1914. :)

ETA: They have articles as early as 1851, which I believe is their entire collection.  You can narrow down to search for only recent articles, though. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep the Times was founded in 1851, their entire collection is online. However, some articles you have to pay for. If you still have access to Proquest, and also Lexis/Nexis I think, from school, you can find those aricles on there for free! It's pretty wonderful.

MW said...

Sadly, I no longer have access to those through NYU Home. Since I have to look up cases all the time for work, I've checked.
Oh well, keeps me ethical. :)