Friday, September 26, 2008

24-hour call

Mr. and I have google calendars that we both have access to so we can each know what the other is doing. For Saturday (today), I saw Mr. had marked '12 hour weekend call'. So, I figured Friday night would be a chill night. I'd make some dinner, do a little laundry, and hang out with Mr. during his study breaks. On my way home, though, I received a text message from him informing me that he had 24-hour call and wouldn't be home until 6am.

So, I went home, made dinner, put the rest of it away, did the laundry, washed the dishes, and took out the trash. And while I did that, I though back to the housework shift from single life to married life. It's not that husbands are so high maintenance that they require so much housework, particularly not in my case. Instead (in my completely unsubstantiated opinion), it's because we're more motivated to take care of others better than we take care of ourselves. For example, it's more fun to cook for someone else than just yourself. When I'm just cooking for me, I want the food to be done as soon as possible so I can eat it. When I'm cooking for other people, though, I want them to enjoy it, I want it to be balanced, etc.

By getting into the habit of caring for another person, I feel like perhaps I'm growing up a little bit. There's a reason, after all, why immature characters in movies and tv shows are always eating ramen noodles and Chinese take-out.

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

I completely agree with this: "we are motivated to take care of others better than we take care of ourselves." I had the exact same thought two days ago when my fiance was on 24 hour call. You have a great blog! Post more. :)

MW said...

Thanks! It's been kind of crazy lately, but I think I can pick it up. :)