Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Home Brews and I Do's!

This weekend was mostly spent with med school friends. Saturday Mr. was hanging out with one of his classmates when he called me to go over there for dinner. He also asked me to bring his camera and our 2 cup measuring cup.
When I went over there, I discovered said classmate had recently invested in a home brewing kit and was going to start his first batch after dinner. Mr. helped, and I documented the whole thing with the camera. The process which should have taken 3 hours took roughly 5. The two medical students diligently made sure the proper materials were adequately sanitized and clearly had to pay close attention to the directions. The longest part of the process was waiting for the wert to cool to a temperature low enough to not kill the yeast. It was also the chilliest part as we had the A/C up high. Overall, it was a very cool and fun experience. Mr. got a text the next morning letting him know that the yeast was already hard at work.
The home brew will be ready by October!

Sunday evening, Mr. and I took a long train through Manhattan out to another outer-borough for an engagement party. We've known this couple since before they were a couple. In fact, I remember being confused when I first started to see them break off from the main group to be all cute and couple-like first year. Mr. had clearly neglected to tell me they were an item. Since then, though, they've become a staple couple in the class - two great people heading in the same direction together. He proposed to her on Sunday afternoon, then had a surprise engagement party waiting for her after she accepted. It's all very exciting, and I'm very happy for them. Mazel tov!

No comments: