Sunday, July 20, 2008

Residency Search Battle: Round 1

Okay, so we'd had this talk before, but with so much uncertainty, there was only so much that could be said.

Here's a brief history of this discussion:

First Meeting (Pre-first year)-
Mr.MW: I imagine I'll be in New York a long time.
MW: I like it for now but would like to settle back in the midwest.

Engagement (First year)-
MW: I really don't want to stay in New York after med school, far away from our families when we start having kids.
Mr.MW: I will try to get back to the midwest for residency.

A couple months in (Second year)-
Mr.MW: You know, there's a good chance I could end up in a borough for residency. This is where I have all my connections, etc.
MW: Ugh. (or something like that...)

There's still quite a bit of uncertainty, like which specialty he'll go into (though orthopedic surgery is looking likely) or where he'll feel most comfortable. However, we know one big factor that will help determine where we go next: the boards (ie, USMLE Step 1) scores are in, and he did well. Very well.

Upon the hearing the news, a friend of mine responded 'M must be happy,' assuming that with the high score, we now have the freedom to go where I want to go. But, while I'm incredibly proud of and happy for him, I know that this means he will be even more determined to go to the highest ranking program, with little regard to location.

We went round and around last night, getting everything out. It was difficult because he said some things I didn't want to hear (like, 'I'm not going to be home for dinner every night or be able to make it to every game'), but after sleeping on it, I'm ready to accept that his career is his priority. After all, I can find an adventure anywhere, and letting go just makes life more exciting.

...Plus I guess the small victory of discovering there are no borough hospitals on US News & World Report's Top 50 Hospitals for Orthopedics didn't hurt either.

1 comment:

Insomniac said...

If he decides to do ortho, page me on the MM board... Mr. Insomniac's an orthopod.