Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday: Back to the Grind

I have a fairly long commute, roughly 70 minutes one-way plus an extra 15 minutes to be safe. Like most non-driving commuters, I have a number of ways to keep myself amused: magazine, book, sudoku puzzles, and of course, the beloved ipod.

With a long commute, I like to listen to soundtracks because they're most likely to be over an hour in length. This morning I had an odd desire to listen to the soundtrack of Floyd Collins, an off-broadway musical written by the musical chameleon, Adam Guettel (Light in the Piazza). Set in 1920s Kentucky, the music is folksy with bluegrass influences. It's a great piece ...but probably not the best soundtrack to listen to when your subway train is stuck underground between stops for 10+ minutes. For those of you unfamiliar with Floyd Collins, the man or the musical, he was a cave explorer who got trapped trying to find a new entrance to his family's 'Great Crystal Cave' and ultimately perished there. Yep, real cheery stuff and not at all spooky when 'trapped' underground.  Luckily I wasn't trapped so long to be late for work.

This morning we had a monthly internal video conference which my boss hosts. I thought everything was set until it was T minus 20 minutes when the girl with the handouts was nowhere to be found and the tech guy was MIA.  At least the video was working.  I paced back and forth between the meeting location and my office, calling the girl with the handouts every so often, making every attorney entering the video conference nervous when I thought they were her coming through the door.

Finally, with 5 minutes before the start, one of the mail guys arrived with the handouts, and 2 minutes prior the girl showed up with the sign-up sheets. She had been in a meeting that had run late.
Stressful, and I wish I'd gone down to her desk in the first place to get the handouts, but not the end of the world.

Then, during the conference, my boss emails me to let me know there was a voice coming over the phone, some guy talking about the lake. So, I send a firmwide email to tell everyone invited to the call to turn the mute on their phone, but I guess it kept going. How embarrassing. Today we actually had an external presenter as well, a big deal in restructuring. Stupid conferencing service.

With all of that, though, today hasn't been so bad. You see, I have something very priceless here at work.
That's right. I can close my door. The only door I can close at home is to the bathroom, and the only place to sit there is on the toilet! So yes, it's nice to have a door I can close, and to have something to sit on other than a toilet. Small joys. :)

No comments: