Sunday, July 27, 2008

Golden Weekend: Saturday

This weekend, Mr. had a 'golden weekend', meaning he wasn't on call on Friday but also had Saturday and Sunday off.  Of course, I didn't realize this until Friday evening after making plans for a packed Saturday in Manhattan.  I suppose it was good for him, though, to not have me around while he was studying.  Since we live in a studio, I've found it hard to entertain myself without distracting him.

So, I left for Manhattan at 11:00am, while he was still asleep (apparently he slept until 2:00pm) after making a post office run.  I was running early to meet my friends when I was one stop away on the subway and the train was delayed due to a signal problem.  Since I was early, I figured I'd just sit it out.  15 minutes later, though, the conductor made an announcement that they didn't know how long it would take, so I made a couple of transfers and was only 5 minutes late or so.  My friends had been on different stops on the same line, though, so they each took cabs to Around the Clock, where we had brunch.  It's an East Village staple that I definitely recommend.

After brunch, we walked around the block to NYU's Graduate Musical Theatre Writing building where a friend of ours was performing in a new work.  The actors were good.  There was very little dialogue... or story... or clear objective.  But the music was great, the voices were great, and it was under 90 minutes.
Next weekend another friend is in a different new work (which honestly sounds much better) in the same program.  I'm looking forward to it.

After the play, I met up with an old friend whom I'd only recently reconnected with at a mutual friend's wedding in May.  Before that, I think the last time I saw him was 8 years ago, maybe?  He moved away after my 8th grade year but came back to visit once when I was in high school.
Anyway, I found out via text while I was stuck underground that he was in town for the weekend before jetting off to Europe, so we walked around the village, down the middle of a street fair and then settled in Washington Square Park to talk about life.  He's in medical school as well in a D.O. program in Ohio, so I was curious to hear how the programs differ.

After that, I headed uptown to meet with a few church buddies regarding the direction of our 20s/30s group.  I have a big to-do list now, but am super-psyched about all of our ideas!  Mainly the retreat we'll have sometime next spring.  Woot. :)

I'm about to run to church, but I just had to post because I realized this morning that Mr. did a fair number of the dishes and also took out the kitchen trash that had been staring me down the past couple days.  Since he cares about things like clean floors, I wouldn't be surprised if he did that as well.  When I get home (since he's still sleeping right now), I'll have to thank him.

Thank you, Mr.!!

No comments: