Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Story

It's funny how many different paths can lead to the same place. My story's a little different, mainly in that my husband and I've been together since we were teenagers, and in that time he's always known he wanted to be a doctor. We went to high school together, then college, and got married right before graduation. Medical school was always the next logical step for my husband, and I'd always wanted to live in New York City, so when he was accepted to a school out here it was a no brainer.

In the months before the big move, I read all the books on relationships, articles on Manhattan, and forums on med school that I could find. Basically, I completely freaked myself out, and that might be why the transition wasn't nearly as rough as I thought it would be. All the major relationship issues (money, time, etc.) are magnified when one spouse is a full-time student living on loans, but working through those has allowed my husband and I to develop a bond we wouldn't have ever formed otherwise.

So now the board scores are back, and we've got less than two years till this med school ride is over. I can't wait to share it and hopefully learn a little something from everyone else along the way.

No comments: