Thursday, July 31, 2008

I'm Dreaming of a White...Dinner...

So, while I cook something almost every night, I try to cook something that is neither pasta, rice, nor frozen pizza at least once each week. Actually, I lied, as often my 'special' dish will be a combination of ground beef and pasta.
...Moving on...
So last night I started out planning a meal that I hoped to be feasible in a tiny New York kitchen after my long day of work followed by my long commute that was also well-balanced.

I ended up with this:


Yes kids, that's chicken (white) for protein, mashed potatoes (white) for starch, and zucchini (white with green skin) for the vegetable. Who says meals should be colorful anyway?

Monochromatic color scheme aside, I think I did a decent job on a budget, no less!

The meal, which fed us both for dinner and me for lunch (yum) cost $8 + seasoning (small amounts of butter, milk, lemon pepper, flour, salt & pepper).

What you need:
1 lb Chicken
2 lbs Potatoes (more if you really like potatoes like me)
1 Zucchini
1/4 c. Flour
1 Tbsp Lemon Pepper
1/3 c. Milk
Butter
Salt/Pepper

How to prepare (in very simplistic terms):

  • Boil water in a medium or large pot
  • Peal potatoes and chop into 1/2" cubes (or whatever size you prefer)
  • Place potatoes in boiling water, set timer for 20 minutes
  • Mix flour and lemon pepper in bowl.
  • Coat chicken in lemon pepper mixture. (Note: there will be mixture left over, so if you want to save to use again, use a spoon to drizzle the mixture over the chicken)
  • Place a small amount of butter in a large skillet over low heat (the thicker the pieces of chicken, the lower the heat).
  • Place chicken in skillet.
  • While chicken is cooking, chop the zucchini into slices and place on microwave-safe dish.
  • Use your discretion in determining when to turn the chicken over. For thin slices, it may only need 2 minutes on each side; thicker slices may need 5+ minutes per side.
  • After the timer rings, buzzes, whatever, drain the potatoes
  • Add milk, butter and salt to potatoes and mash. Using a significant amount of butter makes them extra yummy...but it also makes them extra fatty. Season as desired.
  • Place zucchini in the microwave for roughly 40 seconds, butter lightly and season with salt & pepper.

And, serve. See? Super easy. And cheap. Yet, real food.

No comments: