Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Roommates Part II

Last fall, I wrote about how Mr. and I felt like roommates and that was about it. I'm under the impression that from MS3 throughout the end of medical training, there are those killer rotations during which you simply don't see your spouse. This, not surprisingly, seems to be one of them.

Mr. is finishing his surgery rotation, and as the shelf exam draws nearer, I see him less and less. The last time Mr. and I ate in the same place at the same time was Saturday evening, and that was just snacks, not a meal. Since I have class tonight and tomorrow and a friend in town on Friday, I expect the earliest Mr. and I will share a meal will be dinner on Saturday. Maybe.

However, unlike last September, it's not so bad. Sure it'd be great if I could see him more, but the important part is appreciating each other when we do see one another. It's really just an attitude adjustment for both of us. Instead of spending our 5 minutes that we see each other each day talking about bills or those dirty dishes in the sink, we ask how the other is doing. We each seek the other's advice. We remember that we're on the same team. So, even though we may be living like roommates or merely ships passing in the night, we feel like the united married couple we are.

(And it's a lot easier for me to tackle those dirty dishes in the sink when I know Mr. and I are on the same team.)

No comments: