Thursday, March 19, 2009

Match Day

In 52 weeks, Mr. and I will find out where we'll be living for the following 5 years of our lives. For those of you who are MS4's or MS4 spouses, I hope you're out celebrating (and even more so that you feel the desire to celebrate)!

Sadly, my cousin (an MS4) is not celebrating at the moment. She matched at her #7 program and is considering switching to a less competitive specialty to get out of it. (I'm not sure if we currently know if that's an option).

I can only imagine what she's feeling right now.

However, I am making a mental list of cities I do NOT want to move to, and making sure they're not on Mr.'s list. You feel very out of control with the match, but the one thing you have power over is your list. I knew it before, but it's obvious to me now that you have to be okay with every program listed.

3 comments:

Bea said...

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin :( That is rough.

I wanted to let you know that a blog friend of mine started a private blog for medical spouses to vent/ask advice/discuss things. If you're interested I could send you a blog invite. Let me know. findingequanimity at gmail.

Unknown said...

This year will go by really fast! My husband and I just found out yesterday that he matched with his first choice! The waiting felt like it was going to kill me, but now it's over!! Good luck next year! :)

I'm Just Me said...

Being careful about the city is very important... my boyfriend just matched and we are thrilled. But when he was making his rank list he made the tough decision about not ranking a place/hospital he knew we would hate after his interview. It's so hard because you know you're lowering your chances but it made the 2 days between "Match" and "Where" so much more enjoyable because we knew it couldn't be there.