Friday, March 20, 2009

Nerdy Fights

Last night, I texted Mr. (who was in one of the classroom buildings studying for the oral exam he had today) that I was going to bed, and as it sent, he opened the door. Already 11:30, I was cutting it close if I wanted to get 6 hours of sleep. But we hung out and chatted, which was great. Then, as I was heading to bed, I mentioned that Obama had made an offensive comment on Leno. This prompted Mr. to turn it on to see for himself.

We saw the gaffe, and we also heard him make a few other statements, which made me think of another topic closely related and thus spurred what turned into a 2-hour argument about the economy, investment banking, AIG, Citigroup, employee compensation, contract breaches, and the long-term macroeconomic impact of short-term legislation. All of a sudden, it was 1:55am, and my alarm was set for 6. Luckily, by that point we actually achieved a shared position (sort of).

Now, Mr. and I have had many a "nerdy fight" as my friends call them. But typically, they just end with me changing the subject because we're out in public and I'm afraid we're making our companions (usually STM & her hubby) uncomfortable. Clearly this is a good move on my part as it apparently takes two hours for us to quasi-agree.

That said, it was fun to finally go through it all. I love being challenged intellectually and by not giving up, I didn't have to concede every point. I do still have to work on my strategy, though, so that I'm not always playing defense. I think I might mimic some of his techniques (like challenging every statement to ask for specific statistics I know he doesn't know)...

No comments: