Sunday, October 12, 2008

Might we have a winner?

Opthomology! erm, Opthamology! grrr.... Ophthalmology!!

Mr. attended a 'speed dating' event this morning to help determine what he wanted to specialize in and to network with doctors in that specialty. There actually wasn't an Orthopedics table nor an Otolaryngology table, but the ophthalmologist he met did assure him that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to doctoring the... eye. And in doing so, he helped sway Mr. toward that profession.

Not only is there more going on with the eye than say, the hand (Mr. had recently mentioned specializing in hand surgery...), but there are also symptoms for larger problems that show up in the eye. So, as an ophthalmologist, Mr. would be able to still diagnose larger problems including diabetes and a bunch of other diseases and conditions I had never heard of before/can't remember now.

Of course, ophthalmology has an early match program, so now we're running around trying to find out how it works. It looks like there will still be time to do an away or at least an elective in optho before making any definite decisions. He'll also (hopefully) shadow during his next break and take a week to specialize in optho during his surgery clerkship.

I hope this sticks. When he was telling me about it, he really did finally seem to care about the work/life balance aspect of it. "I've been working hard a long time" (he started working at 16 and didn't stop until coming to medical school, where he's also done research outside of class and worked as a PA in anatomy). "I think I'd like a career where I can spend time with my family."

Hallelujah!

Now, if he changes his mind, yet again, and decides that ortho really is what he wants to do, I will still support him. But I'm still excited about ophthalmology for now. :)

2 comments:

Melisa said...

Sorry, I just linked over from Avi, and I haven't had a chance to read much on your blog. Is he a 3rd yr or a 4th yr? My hubby went to OSU with Joy's hubby. We just love Golijan. He was so dang nice. Ophthalmology sounds like a good specialty! Congrats on finally having a decision! I know that it takes a lot to get there! ;)

MW said...

He's an MS3. Though it seems I spoke to soon! I imagine he'll be applying to away rotations before I believe him. ;)