Thursday, October 9, 2008

Billy Elliot

Last Friday (holy crap, why am I only just now getting to writing this??), I saw the best thing on Broadway right now (with the possible exception of South Pacific). I say that with confidence even though I haven't seen everything on Broadway.

Last Friday was the annual support staff outing for the law firm. All of the partners' were out of town for their annual meeting, which meant we could go party while the associates fended for themselves! (Okay, so there were 5 staffers on, just in case). The partners generously treat all of us non-attorneys to dinner, drinks and arcade games at Dave & Busters in Times Square followed by a Broadway show. Each year there are 5 choices for shows, which we rank in order of our preferences, and preferences are recognized in order of who responds first.

Since the support staff outing was within 2 weeks of Mr.'s next shelf exam and coming along would mean violating his 2 week rule, I made plans to bring my work friend who recently left the firm to have an actual career instead. As soon as the list came out, she and I figured out our preferences. Most of my coworkers were remarking that they hoped they liked the show they were seeing. I was confident Billy Elliot would be phenomenal, and it didn't disappoint.

The opening number, admittedly, is a little weak vocally, and this is not a show you see for the brilliant singing. However, the music is catchy and enjoyable. It's hard to go wrong with Elton John (well, except he does take the melody from the bridge in 'I Dreamed a Dream' from Les Miserables and put it into 'The Letter' in this show. Oh well, it's a good melody).

The story, as those of you who saw the movie (I did not) already know, is heartwarming and perfect for the stage, despite being a little predictable. I won't go on about the plot because I'm assuming everyone knows the premise.

So yes, this production has triple-cast the physically challenging title role with three brilliant young men. I had the privilege of seeing Kiril Kulish perform the role. I was completely captivated. He totally blew me away with his dancing talent. He was performing choreography that would be impressive for an adult professional dancer. And he's barely 14. When I got home that night, I looked him up on youtube to watch his past competitions because I couldn't believe it. I also discovered a video of him playing a difficult Chopin Fantasie on the piano and became angry at myself for not being more dedicated to dance and piano when I was his age.

I realize I'm totally rambling, but go see it. Soon you will not be able to get tickets because I have a feeling it will sell out very quickly. Go. Seriously, go now. If you have any appreciation for dance whatsoever, you have to see this show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw it in London, loved it!