Monday, February 8, 2010

The Other Side of the LSAT

Mr. has finished his interviews. I've finished fashion school. And now, I've taken the LSAT.

Last August, when I signed up for the LSAT, I opted to take it at NYU Law School because I know how to get there. Instead of having to worry about the trek from the outer borough in the wee hours of the morning sans cell phone, I instead chose to stay at a nearby hotel/dorm (yes, it is both a hotel and a dorm). Despite the warnings of a snowmageddan that shut down many test sites in the Mid-Atlantic region including some in Northern New Jersey, Staten Island and Brooklyn, I arrived safely at my destination on Friday before any precipitation accumulated, subsequently looking ridiculous in my rain boots. I went out for Mexican with a friend for dinner in the neighborhood and was in bed by 10:00pm. All was going according to plan.

Then, just before 4 am, I woke up to a woman screaming bloody murder outside my window. So, I jumped up and dialed 911. It took me a while to give the dispatcher my location as I didn't know the address and couldn't remember the second cross street, but once I did, she asked me to look out the window. The bottom of the window started at roughly 5' off the floor, so I got up on the bed and peaked out. Sure enough, there was already an FDNY ambulance out there. This should have been apparent as red lights were faintly flashing through the blinds, but hey, it was 4am and a woman was screaming! This dispatcher was nice about it, though. Better too many people call than none, right?

Anyway, since I already had quite a few hours of sleep by that time, it took a good hour before I could doze off again. Luckily, since I know the woman got help, the drama wasn't distracting during my exam. Even with the best plans, though, things can go awry. I'm really curious what happened. Hopefully everything worked out.

The test was okay. There was one truly awful section, which I'm hoping was the experimental section. My practice exam scores had a 17-point range and all felt more or less the same. So, I really have no idea what to expect but am preparing myself for a score on the lower side.

Anyway, my weekend didn't end with the exam. I got out a little before 3:00pm (it's a 3 1/2 hour test, and I arrived at 8:30...), so I met up with a sorority sister who lives farther downtown for a bite to eat. She had waited for me to get out of the test to eat, so we chowed down on Uno's deep dish pizza in order to span the calorie count of two meals. We then returned to her apartment to get ready for a charity event our former chapter was throwing while watching Glee on DVD.

I should mention that we got no more than a light dusting of snow in NYC that was gone by the time we left for the charity event. If I had been scheduled to take the LSAT in Staten Island, Brooklyn, or Northern New Jersey, I would've been extremely annoyed.

Though not snowing, it was freezing out. Thankfully, attendance at the charity event didn't appear to suffer because of the weather. They had an excellent turnout and raised a ton of money.

I left the party early to get home at a reasonable time, saying hi to Mr. briefly on my way to bed.

8 hours later, I woke up and went to church. After church I was going to pick up my Peyton Manning jersey from my friend's apartment, but when she wasn't home, I killed time at my office instead, and thankfully found that my email box was not over flowing from my Friday off. I then went downtown to a meeting, stopping by to pick up snacks for the Super Bowl Party later, and left the meeting early to finally pick up the jersey. It was 5:45 when I arrived at my friend's apartment and nearly 6 by the time I left. Since she lives in West Midtown and I was heading to the Upper East Side... and it was really cold out and I didn't want to miss the kickoff, I splurged on a cab, arriving at 6:25. Whew.

The game was disappointing, and so were the commercials. It was kind of a let down after a crazy weekend, but the party was fun. Plus, I don't see the point of getting upset over sports. Excited? Sure! It's fun to be happy when your team wins. But upset? Meh. Not worth it.


Coming up...
04 days until my birthday
16 days until the Rank Order List is due
21 days until I get my LSAT score
35 days until Black Monday
38 days until The Match

No comments: