Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Away Rotation Update

As mentioned earlier, Mr. applied for two visiting student clerkships ("away rotations") in orthopedic surgery in the midwest. They're both strong programs. One is at a very good hospital affiliated with a top-notch university in an extremely popular city. Let's call that Program A. The other is a strong program with seemingly very happy residents in a city that is far less exciting to most but is halfway between our families and thus very desirable for us. We'll call it Program B.

The application for Program A required listing up to 2 alternative courses and 3 alternative dates. They also needed his Step 1 scores, a letter of recommendation, and his transcript in addition to all of the other usual administrative things. So, he applied for Ortho, Peds Ortho, and Trauma for July, September, and October.
The application for Program B required listing up to 4 alternative combinations of elective + date. So that he wouldn't be scheduling any conflicts, he listed a number of different ortho electives all in the month of August.

As STM's hubby heard back from the many programs he applied to, Mr. and I became antsy. We thought he'd be fine, but we wanted to know something. I would bug him every night when I got home, asking if he'd heard any news, and he would remind me that he would let me know as soon as he heard.

Then, today as I walked back to my office after lunch, typing a text to my friend in the Navy to see if he's in town for Fleet Week, my iphone vibrated. At first I thought I had a new email - a google news alert about the Schumer governance bill or something. However, for once today I had no new emails. Then I saw the little number by my SMS icon. New text message. From Mr.:
"I have been accepted to rotate at [Program A] in July for orthopedics."
I called him as fast as I could hit the speed dial on the touch screen. I can't remember our brief conversation, but I couldn't contain my excitement. Not only is this a great opportunity for him, but it also means that so far, things are going as planned. I'm very much looking forward to getting home tonight and reading his acceptance e-mail. Then we'll tell his Program A city friends that he'll be staying with them and figure out how much we'll pay them. I'll also start looking for flights to visit him.

Are wives normally this excited upon learning their husband will be gone for a month? :)

No comments: