Thursday, February 5, 2009

Crocs

So, it's been quite a while. And then, after a certain amount of time of not posting, the pressure to write a good post grew. Should I post about Mr.'s rotations? He finished with peds a couple weeks ago. Nothing very noteworthy there (except observations that would probably be offensive and thus I'd rather not touch).

January I was overwhelmed with a research-heavy online winterim course, and I decided that cramming a 15-week course into a 3 week period is not such a good idea, particularly when the student also has a full-time job.

However, Mr. started his surgery rotation this week, and what better topic to write about as the wife of a to-be surgeon and a fashion student than his new choice of footwear:





Ah, crocs. I remember first seeing them on the feet of tourist children one summer a few years ago. I thought they were the most hideous things I had ever seen, but considering my shoes lit up when I was a child, I had no room to judge.

However, a season or two later, I began to notice them on adult tourists wandering Murray Hill trying to find the Empire State Building. They quickly became equivocal in my mind to fanny packs and cargo shorts. Sure, they might have a function, but they're really really ugly. Since I don't garden and prefer enclosed shoes for hiking, I never imagined I would ever own a pair.

And then I married a medical student. A medical student - I might add - who has relatively good fashion sense most of the time. However, last Saturday he went to the academic Barnes & Noble on 18th & 5th to purchase a pair of crocs for surgery. His choice of store is somewhat reassuring. While I imagine there are plenty of places closer to our apartment that sell crocs, he views them strictly as a necessary accessory for his medical training. This didn't stop me from teasing him about them, but ever so secure, he expressed no shame in his beloved, navy blue crocs.

Monday was an orientation, and Tuesday he scrubbed into his first surgery of the clerkship. It was 12 1/2 hours long. How he survived that without eating or taking a bathroom break is beyond me, but I'm sure he's glad he had comfortable footwear.

Still, I hope he never wears them outside the hospital. ;)

2 comments:

Bea said...

Too funny- we had exactly the same experience!! My husband is very fashionable and swore he'd never be found dead in Crocs. He bought Danskos during med school and he liked them, but quickly realized they were a bit too heavy for every day use in surgery. (They're fine if you're standing still but not so fun when you have to travel around the hospital on a long shift). He relented and bought a pair of Crocs and now that's what he wears almost every day.

I have to warn you-- at first my husband swore he wouldn't wear them outside the hospital and now he wears them exclusively. Even in places he knows he shouldn't!! I hope yours can fight the urge :)

Anonymous said...

Crocs?? Nooooooooooo!

- JAR :)