Monday, April 27, 2009

The Joys of Campus Living

I lived in campus housing all four years of undergrad. Of course, I went to a college with very little campus and had a 30-minute commute from my junior and senior year dorm to the classroom buildings, but nevertheless, I loved campus living. In sorority housing, I had 9 suitemates my sophomore year and 4 my junior and senior years. There was always someone nearby, and on sunny days, it was great to sit out in the park, doing some homework. (Actually, I was once pictured in the NY Sun reading in Union Square Park on an unusually warm February 29... I remember the date because I called a friend of mine, a current MS3, actually, whose birthday it was.)

I spent one year between undergrad and moving to the med school, and one thing I looked forward to was living on campus again! It hasn't disappointed. We have friends who live nearby which makes impromptu plans easy to make, and I'll often run into a familiar face in the lobby or at the bus stop. This past weekend, I spent much of both days lounging in the courtyard, getting more of a tan 2 days in New York than I did during my week in India!

However, while I enjoy the perks of a student, I'm still not one myself. I'm sure more people know who I am than the other way around. I've been introduced to most of Mr.'s class by now, but, as hard as I try, I don't remember them unless I've actually spent time with them. So, when I'm lounging in the courtyard by myself, knowing my actions or inaction might reflect on my husband, I often opt to act and be oblivious. I bury my head in my book and/or wear my headphones. While I always love to run into people I know, I don't want to inadvertently ignore someone I should have said hello to. Luckily, those people who know me well will approach me even when oblivious, so it all works out. :)

No comments: